Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Are they twins? Are they identical?

Whenever I'm out with the kids, I'm asked more than once, "are they twins?" Okay, I get it, you can never be too sure. But come on, people. They're identical! Can't you tell?

Well, lately, I've been questioning how identical they actually are. In fact, most days, I don't think they look identical at all. And don't even get me started on how different their personalities are. I know they are identical. All monoamniotic twins are identical, but Henry and Drew have distinct differences. For one thing, Henry has a fuller face. His hair also appears lighter at times and his eyes are slightly farther apart than Drew's. Drew has some dry spots on his face, which make his complexion appear lighter. He's also skinnier than his brother, but that's a function of Henry's lack of moderation. And like I've said before, Henry is my needy kid. I cannot leave a room without him being on my heels. Drew, on the other hand, is laid back. When I leave for work in the morning, he gives me that "I love you, but I'll see you when I see you" look.

It's true, there are still times I confuse them. Like when they're just in their diapers before bathtime. With their color-coded clothing off and both of them screaming, I sometimes cannot tell them apart. However, I often attribute the confusion to exhaustion.

Last year, a friend with identical twin girls sent me a New York Times article that reported on a study showing that identical twins do not necessarily have the same DNA. The bottom line of the research was that there is more genetic variation among identical twins than previously believed, and these differences aren't just in gene expression, but in the DNA sequence itself. It turns out this is just the most recent research explaining why identical twins aren't really so identical. Of course, I wouldn't have known this prior to having my kids. But I'm glad to know I'm not crazy for wondering why my so-called identicals do not look completely alike, have dissimilar personalities (although they are both really happy kids), and have different food and activity preferences.

Anyway, judge for yourselves. Do these kids look alike?

At a pumpkin patch earlier this month:


Before their NICU reunion last month:


On the Panama City Beach pier with Papa in August:

1 comment:

girlytwins said...

I couldn't agree with you more. If my girls weren't momo twins I wold never think they were identical twins. Yes they look a lot like but many siblings do too. My girls also have very different personalities as your boys do.