Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

My pre-New Years resolution is to update this blog more regularly. It's amazing how quickly time flies when you have kids. I feel like my mom saying this, but it's true. Because of Facebook, I've been lax in updating this site. I update my Facebook status message regularly and upload pics every now and then. But I don't want to become too addicted to it and would much rather use my blog as a place where my family and friends can follow the boys, so I'm making a concerted effort to do so.

Let's see. In the last 8 months since I've posted, so much has happened. The kids have developed distinct personalities and run in every direction but mine. Drew is a little spitfire. He's much more independent than his brother and does not experience the same sort of separation anxiety. Henry is a big baby. He's a mama's boy. Drew picks on him all the time and Henry just takes it. And by takes it, I mean he cries. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle this. Neither one is saying more than a few basic words, but I'm not worried...yet.

I've also found out that my boys have asthma. Well, because they're under the age of 2, it's called reactive airway disease. We discovered this when Henry had respiratory failure last May and ended up in the PICU for nearly 2 weeks. Seeing him hooked up to a ventilator, with so many wires and IVs the nurses were constantly untangling them, reminded me so much of the NICU. It was the hardest experience I've ever been through. Probably harder than the NICU. Mostly because one minute, he was a bubbly, healthy 15-month-old, and the next minute he wasn't breathing at all. Also, Drew was at home and didn't know or understand where his brother was. Because the boys are identical, their pulmonologist and allergist want them to follow the same regimen of controller medications. Our morning routine now includes using a nebulizer of Pulmicort while the boys watch Dora.

Anyway, we've had a lot going on. I'll catch you up in more detail over time. In the meantime, here are the amazing adventures of Henry and Drew in pictures.

The boys' first trip to Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke won!




Touring the main quad. The boys will be walking up these steps in about 17 years.



Cherry blossoms. The best part of spring in DC.


Springtime in Georgetown



Henry's last night in the hospital. This is the start of his wagon tour with his buddies.




Day trip to Annapolis. Maybe they'll be Midshipmen! Papa likes the idea. They've got the hair (or lack thereof) for it.



A nice afternoon at Forest Hills playground


They thought we were going to Chapel Hill to hang out at Papa and Gigi's pool. Little did they know they'd be getting their first haircuts. Henry wasn't happy. Drew liked it.



Hanging out at home


We couldn't get through summer without hitting a spray park. We love Turtle Park!


Summertime in Georgetown


Playing with their very first friends. Cory and Belle were their neighbors in the NICU!


Playing with a new friend at the American History Museum


We couldn't get through summer without a trip to the beach. We love Panama City Beach!


Late summer silliness at Lyons Village Park. Henry loves to rock...backward. Drew likes to wash his car.







2 comments:

girlytwins said...

What a great post Molly. It was so fun to catch up on Drew and Henry. They are beyond cute. They seem to be such happy lil guys. It's fun to see you enjoying them so much.

Sorry to hear about your boys breathing issues and Henry's hospitalization. My Addee was hospitalized on her first birthday for double pneumonia due to her premature lungs at birth. It was so awful to see her hooked up to all those machines. I agree it was harder than the NICU. I think we expected the NICU but when they r healthy it just brings back all those emotions plus new ones.

So happy to have you back :)

Molly said...

Thanks, Jenny! It's glad to be back. I'm sorry to hear about Addee. Sometimes when I think the kids are over their preemie issues, something like this happens.

I hope you're doing well!