In the metro station, the boys replenished their metro map supply. Can't have too many rail-to-bus planners, right? Although we only traveled two stops, the boys were so excited to ride the train. Henry sat on the blue seats and Drew sat wherever he could be next to a window.
Once we got to Friendship Heights, I made a quick stop at Neiman Marcus. Don't worry, Jeff, I wasn't buying anything, though I did see a lovely quilted Marc Jacobs handbag in Contemporary that had my name on it. I had to return a skirt that I had bought online, on clearance and on impulse. Never a good combination. But, it did allow me to visit the store I used to frequent, and haven't visited since 2009. Not even the hanging butterfly display in the middle of the store could keep my kids entertained. Bored after five minutes of window shopping, the boys begged to get to the spray ground already. I think Jeff trained them to do this.
It was our first non-car trip to Chevy Chase Recreation Center, but it was great. The park is only a few blocks from the metro. Of course I figure this out just as they are about to start school. In Virginia. We spent a couple of hours playing there, then had a picnic. I saw a few familiar faces -- kids and nannies who I used to see at our park. I guess the recent renovation and addition of a spray ground are bigger draws than the shade and sandbox of Forest Hills playground.
After lunch, the rain clouds started to roll in, so I packed up the Bumbleride, the kids hopped in and we headed back to the metro. When we got to our stop, I quickly remembered why I don't bring the kids out in their stroller anymore. Pushing 70+lbs of kids and gear uphill on Connecticut Ave isn't easy. Especially after several hours of walking around. I don't know how Betty did it last week after their trip to the zoo.
Fortunately, I was able to get some rest while the boys napped. I felt satisfied that we took advantage of our day together. In fact, I'm already sad that I won't have days like this until next summer. At least I have something to look forward to.
At Planet UDC

No comments:
Post a Comment