On Thursday, the boys had their developmental screening at Georgetown. All babies born at the hospital who were many weeks premature or had complications during or after birth are required to be followed up by specialists. This was their first appointment. Basically, the doctor performs a battery of tests, like watching them play with blocks, seeing how they follow falling objects, assessing their response to different sounds, and evaluating their motor skills. I think Henry was tired of us constantly talking about how his brother does everything first, like rolling over, babbling, and sitting up unassisted for short periods of time, because during the appointment, he surpassed our expectations by passing every test with flying colors. Drew, on the other had, did not pass fine motor skills, transferring, or focusing on small objects. He also did not sit up. In Drew's defense, he waited 45 minutes for his turn, so he was probably exhausted. But, really, I think we (Jeff, my mother-in-law, and I) don't give Henry enough credit. We'll definitely be better about this.
During this appointment, we found out Henry weighs just over 18 lbs and Drew just over 17 lbs. Holy moly! My babies are getting so big! The doctor said both boys are doing really well and are right on track for their corrected age and doing quite well for their chronological age. Good job, boys!
On Friday, I decided to call our pediatrician because the rashes all over Henry's body seem to be getting worse. The only thing I hate more about going to the doctor than the $14 parking fee is the fact that her office doesn't have separate sick and well-child waiting rooms. While I know other kids can't help being sick, I really didn't want my boys to be in the same space as the poor little boy with the horrible hacking cough. After waiting FOREVER, we were finally seen. It's a good thing the boys and I love their pediatrician because my patience was wearing very thin. She said it looks like eczema (I should have known) and prescribed a hydrocortisone lotion slightly more potent than the over-the-counter stuff. In just one day, we're already starting to see a difference in his skin. Is it too much to ask that my baby have soft, smooth skin?
After Henry's appointment, I took the boys by my office to meet my team. It was so funny to see how a handful of researchers reacted to babies. Cooing and laughing replaced discussions of surveys and statistical modeling. Maybe I should bring them to the office every day.
It's now Saturday and today we had brunch at a friend's house. Yes, we braved Tropical Storm Hanna and all the DC drivers who really suck at driving. One of my friends from my first job out of college was visiting from Boston with her husband and baby boy. Our due dates were within a few days of each other, but Henry and Drew came two months early. His name is Jacob and he is so cute! He looks just like his mommy. Our friend from the same said job hosted us at her house. She has a beautiful daughter named Hannah who has the bubbliest personality of any one-year old I've ever met. Yes, two Hanna(h)s in one day!
It was so fun to catch up and for all the babies to play together (i.e., chew and slobber all over Hannah's toys). I realized, after we left for our millionth trip to Buy Buy Baby, that I really need to get the boys out more and interacting with other babies. Hanging out with friends was fun, too.
We ended the day with dinner at Cheesecake Factory. We actually enjoy going there because it's so loud that it doesn't really matter if the boys start to scream. Everything was going fine until Henry decided it was time to play "diaper blowout." So, while Jeff ordered his cheesecake, I became the canvas for Henry's poop art. Of course, I didn't realize this until I brought him to the bathroom, where I had strip him down and take a few wipes to my leg. It was a little embarassing to walk back out into the middle of the restaurant with my laughing, semi-naked baby in one arm, his soiled overalls and onesie in the other, and a huge yellow stain on my pants (thank you, sweet potatoes). Thank god I still had a little bellini left in my glass and some cheesecake left on the plate.
It hasn't escaped me that I haven't yet posted about our trips in August. I promise to do it soon. I know you're all anxiously waiting (Mom and Dad). It will happen.
In the meantime, here are some pictures from the week:
Henry and Drew on their mat
Henry and Drew with Hannah
Danielle, Jacob, Paulette, Hannah, Henry, Drew, and me (I know we're not looking at the camera, but this is the only picture I have in which you can see all the kids' faces)
3 comments:
I hate going to the doctors as well with all the sick people!
gotta love the 'blow outs' which always seem to happen the time I don't bring an extra change of clothes. Cheesecake Factory is one of my all time favorite places - having recently moved to a small town - it's basically Applebees, Red Lobster or Cracker barrel - nothing against those fine establishments, but . . . cheesecake factory ahhhh.
Sounds like a lot of doctors in a short time. Good to have the developmental screen crossed off the list and to hear a good report.
Post a Comment