Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lions and tigers and bears...not so much

I know, I promised pictures and commentaries on the boys' first road trip, plane trip, and swim, but I'm a little tired...and well, a little bit buzzed. We just fed and put the boys to bed and I'm exhausted. Also, I have the attention span of a squirrel in dire need of Ritalin, so tonight I'm simply going to recap our day at the zoo.

To get the boys' minds off their pain from teething, we decided to take them to the zoo. It also happened to be a very nice day (August in DC has been uncharacteristically pleasant), so Jeff and I didn't mind being outside.

Somehow, the fact that it is Labor Day weekend slipped our minds, so we didn't quite expect the hoards we encountered. Everyone, their babies, and their strollers invaded the zoo today. Unfortunately, the animals chose to hide out. There should have been a sign at the entrance that says, "don't bother coming in after 3pm, because the animals are all sleeping." We did see a pygmy hippo who was a crowd pleaser until his public display of pooping, an elephant who scared the bejeezus out of Drew, a menstrual macaque who entertained the crowd by sticking her bright red butt in the air and urinating into a pond, some sleeping seals, and three fidgety pelicans. My mother-in-law and I snuck into the panda habitat, but the humidity of the standing room only viewing area made watching the panda eat bamboo unbearable.

Because of some construction and our failure to pick up a map, we got a little lost, so by the time we figured our way out of the zoo, we were drained. We'd planned to go to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants nearby, but the two blocks to get there seemed endless after walking around the zoo. The prospect of a cold margarita was the only thing keeping me going. Thank god my legs didn't fail me, because the margarita was as good as I imagined. Don't worry, I also had chips and dinner.

Here are some pictures of us at the zoo:



Here is my post-zoo margarita.


This lightweight is ready for bed.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I think we have had the EXACT same zoo experience & I'm with ya - I think the zoo should post a sign when it will be completely a waste of money by coming in to see NO animals & just have whiney kids.
Though a margarita does make a nice prize for perseverance. funny

Connie said...

That margarita looks GOOD!! I love them too. Sorry about the zoo...but it is nice to get out. Do you like your stroller?? I am in the market for a new one...is that a Zooper?

Molly said...

Connie - We love our stroller! It's the Bumbleride Indie Twin. The boys are so comfortable in it and we love how the canopies almost completely cover them in the sun.

Lottie_Ellie said...

Those might be the two cutest zoo goers ever!

I keep hoping for a wonderful zoo visit but our experiences have been very similar to yours. We are going to try the Boo at the Zoo for Halloween and I better darn well see more than two animals.

girlytwins said...

YUM!! I would need a margy after a hot day at a crowded zoo :) Happy you had fun!!