Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Fabulous Baker Boys

Here is a picture of our boys just after we dressed them for their christening ceremony.

Our priest said that in their hats they look like little bakers. I wanted to respond, "well yes, they baked the Eucharist for mass this morning," but I didn't want to be struck by lightning in front of my boys.

So after a stressful but fun weekend, our boys are baptized. Rather than go through all the details of the entire weekend, I will give you the highlights.

Friday night
  • My aunt, uncle, and cousins arrive
  • Jeff and my dad meet them downtown only to realize the Metro was not the best mode of transportation that night (rude kids not moving to the center of the train, single-tracking along route)
  • Two hours after leaving, Jeff and my dad arrive home with said aunt, uncle, and cousins in tow
  • Everyone is tired, especially Jeff
  • I don't know how we're going to get through the weekend

Saturday
  • Both our sisters (including their husbands and three kids, each) arrive in DC
  • Both sisters have issues (delayed flights, dresses left at home)
  • I lose my mind and my parking stub in Whole Foods
  • Jeff does an amazing job planning a small party for everyone coming in from out of town
  • Everyone enjoys pizza, beer, pool, and Spongebob that afternoon
  • Apparently everyone but Jeff and me owns a fancy Nikon digital SLR
  • I feel less overwhelmed but am still stressed out
Sunday
  • Families do their own thing in the morning (hanging out at the pool, going to the zoo)
  • Jeff and I dress the boys in their fabulous baker boy outfits
  • Everyone gets to the church on time (thank god, literally)
  • Baptism goes off without a hitch, the priest is awesome
  • Lots of pictures are taken, I feel a bit like I'm on TMZ
  • There is an open bar at the reception
  • Our two-year old nephew pulls the fire alarm in the restaurant sending everyone outside (except for a few who attend to the open bar)
  • Fire alarm goes off for at least half an hour and a waitress is overheard telling another waitress that it will cost $2000 for the fire department to come out and turn it off
  • I would be stressing out if it weren't for the glass of wine in my hand
  • Jeff is pretty chill with the constant flow of tequila coarsing through his veins
  • Alarm is quieted and the rest of the afternoon runs smoothly
  • Both sets of sisters go home, grandparents stick around to put the babies to bed
  • Jeff and I go to bed calm, thankful for the wonderful weekend
Monday
  • I check my voicemail to find several frantic messages from family members asking for the address to the church
  • I am happy I had my phone turned off the day before
Here we are at the church with our boys. I'll post better pictures when they are sent to me.

4 comments:

girlytwins said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend...stress and all. What is a family event without a little stress? I have never had one. LOL. Your family pic is great. The boys are getting so big.

Connie said...

Wow, what a weekend. Those are some darn cute babaies, and the hats are adorable, if a little baker-like.

Lottie_Ellie said...

Those are adorable christening outfits.

We had the girls christened in April and I remember the chaos all too well. I am glad that you made it through alive.

Tracy said...

too funny - your boys look darn cute no matter what. blessings on your boys & your family.