It was fun to watch all of the participants, but I couldn't help but feel for the band members who lugged their heavy instruments for a half mile and the dancers who performed in velvet costumes, hats and knee high boots. I almost couldn't enjoy the drumline's rendition of Usher's latest song because I was so worried about the poor kids passing out from the heat. PS to Falls Church parade planners - Perhaps you should schedule the parade for the morning instead of the middle of the afternoon when the heat is the most brutal.
Nevertheless, we had a great time and the boys were totally into it.
| My little patriots |
We even saw a Delorean. I had to consult with my iPhone to make sure it wasn't 1985.
![]() |
| Paging Doc and Marty |
I loved these little Corvettes driven by big old guys (the Shriners).
| I'm not sure how these guys fit into the cars |
The boys loved this dragon, carried by members of the Vietnamese-American Association.
| "Mommy, is that a real dragon?" |
The best part of the parade was when Ronald McDonald thanked Jeff for honoring all of the men and women who served our country. I'm not sure why he singled Jeff out. Maybe it was because he was waving Henry's and Drew's flags. It was strange, for sure, but he reminded us why we even have this holiday. Perhaps Ronald was a vet in another life.
Later in the afternoon, our friends came over for some backyard grillin'. Truth be told, there wasn't much backyard involved. Drew and Henry had fun playing cars and trains with Nate in our basement, which is a good thirty degrees cooler than the outdoors. Although we spent most our time in air conditioning, we were able to enjoy some lounging on the deck until the mosquitoes became unbearable. Fortunately, my Off clip-on fan and the five layers of Cutter I sprayed all over myself and my kids really helped.
Overall, it was a great day. A little sweaty, but a lot of fun. Couldn't have planned a better Memorial Day.


No comments:
Post a Comment