Sunday, July 6, 2008

The end of a nice, long weekend

I hate Sunday night. It's like the last day of vacation. You want it to last forever, yet it goes by in a flash. What makes it so much like a vacation for me is Jeff being home. He takes great care of the boys while I am able to rest. Also, I think they're more behaved when he's around. Why is that? Don't get me wrong. Henry and Drew are very well-behaved babies, but some days I swear they conspire to drive me insane.

Here's proof of how much they loooove having Daddy around.


This afternoon we went to Tyson's Corner to have lunch with our friends and their babies. We had a great time. Both our friends' kids are nearly one year old and absolutely adorable. It's great to see what Henry and Drew will be like in several months. We ate at Gordon Biersch (yeah, we took the bebes to a brewery) where it was spacious and loud. Perfect for the kids, only ours were quiet. Amazing. Jeff ordered a 24 oz Hefeweizen, which was well-deserved. The bartender didn't realize he had already gotten his beer and brought him another. It was unlike Jeff to turn another beer away, but he did, saying if he had another, he "would. die." It's true. He's become a lightweight. A shadow of his former self. This isn't a bad thing, of course. For me, it means he hasn't been going to softball or happy hours after work, coming home instead to do the evening shift with the boys. Also, when we actually go out, it makes him a cheap date. That's hot.

After lunch, we strolled around. I'm not sure who among you has been to Tyson's Corner, but it is huge. Not Mall of America huge, but bigger than your average mall. As we walked the mile between the restaurant and Nordstrom, we noticed how many strollers there were. It seemed like every other person was pushing one. Did we only notice because we have kids now? Or is Northern Virginia just that fertile? There's nothing like the kid parade where everyone checks out other people's kids, comparing them to their own (or is that just me?). And have strollers always been status symbols? I saw so many Bugaboos and Quinnies today, I felt like my Maclaren was a Coach monogram pochette among Hermes Birkins and anything quilted by Chanel (nothing against Coach, of course).

Although I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything, I did. I've never left a mall empty-handed, why should I start today? I got two Charlie Rocket t-shirt for the boys. Only $5 on sale. They got the same shirt since they didn't have blue and green versions. They're very cute. They're grey and white stripe with "Think Green" on the front. (Sorry, I couldn't find a picture online.) I figured with that on the shirts, even Jeff couldn't be upset that I spent money.

So, that was our day. It was a great end to our weekend vacation. I was able to go to the mall, Jeff was able to watch the end of the Wimbledon men's final (wasn't it incredible?) and be a picture with the boys in which he looks tan, and the boys got new shirts. We couldn't ask for anything better.




2 comments:

Jocasta said...

I don't understand the stroller status symbol thing either. Why you would spend $1600 plus extras on a bugaloo! You can buy a car for less!!!!

Molly said...

It does seem outrageous. I have friends with those strollers and they're great, I just can't imagine what makes them so expensive. I guess they're versatile. Maybe I'm just clueless.