It hasn't been our typical fun Friday. In fact, I didn't even realize it was Friday until I placed a Peapod order this afternoon. This week has been turned upside down.
At 5:30 this morning, Jeff and I decided that Drew needed to go back to the hospital, despite having been to the ER already and being seen by his pediatrician just 12 hours earlier. His breathing was extremely labored and he was still burning up even though he was given Tylenol and Motrin and was periodically wiped down with a cool washcloth. It turns out he, too, has pneumonia and it's worse than Henry's. He was admitted this afternoon and is expected to stay overnight, at the very least.
I am tired, but I cannot imagine how exhausted Jeff is. This morning's trip to the ER was his third in four days and he hasn't been home since he and Drew left 16 hours ago. Fortunately, his coworker brought him dinner and a Blackberry charger (his lifeline). It also sounds like Drew was put in a nice, big, private room, which, I hope, means Jeff will have enough space to stretch out and get some rest. The unfortunate aspect of this hospital visit is that the care has been far less than stellar compared to what Henry received in 2009, but I can't help but think it's because of the section he's in (the "fast unit"). Also, I cannot go see Drew in the hospital and give Jeff a break unless I leave Henry with someone else. I don't feel comfortable doing that with someone other than family or his nanny given that he is still sick -- we didn''t have the luxury of either today
So, while Drew recuperated across town, Henry and I spent the day hanging out. Jeff and I rarely get quality alone time with each kid. Sadly, it's only under circumstances like these that we are able to have these bonding opportunities. This morning, Henry and I made breakfast, which he ate in bed, then did his breathing treatment and practiced his somersaults, which he has become very good at. After lunch, we read, washed dishes and vacuumed -- he insisted on helping. Who am I to argue with that offer?! When he woke up from his nap, we took a stroll around the building, made dinner and watched Curious George.
Tonight, before bedtime, we talked about a small variety of topics, mostly why Drew was in the hospital and when he and Daddy were coming home. After having this same conversation about three or four times, he abruptly changed the subject.
Henry: I want to move to a new home
Me: Oh yeah?
Henry: Yes. I want to move to a new home. We need to move.
Me: Okay. Where do to want move to? Virginia?
Henry: No. I want to move to Florida.
Me: Why Florida?
Henry: Because I love that place. Let's move there.
Me: What about if we move somewhere close to Florida so we can easily drive there?
Henry: YEAH! I like that idea. I'll tell Daddy.
Me: Okay, buddy.
Henry: Can we buy blue curtains?
As he dreams tonight about living in Florida, I continue to think about how great it would be to be closer to our families. You guys know how much I love DC, but the idea of having both sets of grandparents within driving distance is very appealing and is something I've been seriously thinking about lately. NC, GA, FL? Who knows?? We'll see...
1 comment:
NC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment