Sunday, June 3, 2012

Indecision 2012

Last night, when we asked Henry what he wanted to do today, he said he wanted to go to a water park. We would either go to Upton Hill Regional Park or join a friend and her son at her neighborhood pool. Little did we know that it would be a bit too cool outside to go swimming. Consequently, we adjusted our plans. In true Green style, we remained undecided until the very last minute. (I may have napped during the decisionmaking process.)

This is how our new plan materialized. We all woke up early for church. I checked the weather on my iPhone and told Jeff that it was too cold for a swimming pool today. We needed to come up with a new idea. After a very quiet breakfast, we got into the car. After a very quiet car ride, we went to mass. After a subdued mass, we quietly headed home. Once home, we all flopped onto the couch. It seemed that someone had drained the life out of all of us this morning. We told Henry that we weren't going to a water park, so we gave him and Drew new options: a festival in Herndon, a hike in Arlington or a playground followed by lunch at a restaurant. It was already well past 11am and lunchtime was just around the corner, so we needed to make a decision soon because the boys wanted to participate in whatever activity we selected before we ate. It was at this point that I fell asleep. When I awoke, Jeff and the kids were already mobilizing. They had made the decision to try a new playground, which happened to be one that we drive by every day on the way to school.

We trekked over to Arlington, our fifth time in 48 hours, and checked out Lacey Woods park. It isn't often that I'm pleasantly surprised by a new park. Or maybe I should say that it has been a while that I've been pleasantly surprised since I've been to almost every park in the metro DC area so there are few parks that are new to me. From the street, this playground looks so-so. But once you're in it, you realize how nice the equipment is, how well it is laid out and how nice it is to have trees tall enough to provide decent shade, but not so overwhelming that you can't get a little tan while your kids play. 

During the hour and a half the boys played, Jeff and I pondered our lunch options. We were undecided again. Sense a trend here? Anyway, I wanted to go to Jettie's, our favorite sandwich place, but neither of us wanted to head into the city. Jeff works in the neighborhood near the playground so I asked him to think of a place to go. By 1, we were all hungry and the boys were a little grumpy, so we needed to make a decision fast. Out of nowhere Jeff suggested a restaurant in Falls Church that we had driven by just the other day. It has outdoor seating and a beach theme. Perfect.

Once we got there, we got what I thought was the best table. And, somehow, my very hungry boys managed to keep themselves entertained and they refrained from their usual restaurant pre-meal whining. Things seemed to be moving so smoothly, I expected something to go wrong. But the service was great and fast. Then the food came and it was good! Another pleasant surprise. We were two for two! Let's be honest, Henry and Jeff were each one for one. Drew and I cannot take any credit.

Now, it is late afternoon, we have all napped and are relaxed. Who says indecision has to be stressful?

Drew has found his new favorite tunnel slide

This is what it looks like when you let a 4-year-old pick out his own clothes

This playground has not jumped the shark

Henry makes his way up

to the tunnel slide

Drew is surprised that I beat him to the top

One of the rare moments Jeff gets to rest

New favorite lunch spot. Anyone else want to tap that keg?

No comments: