How does your garden grow? In our case, with the help of Nana and Papalo.
When my parents visited us in April, they helped us plant our vegetable garden. My dad tilled the soil and my mom sowed and planted the vegetables. The boys, Jeff and I were so excited. Henry and Drew knew for sure they wanted carrots, thanks to one of their favorite episodes of Curious George. My mom suggested some other basics that her daughter-with-a-black thumb could keep alive -- tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, eggplants, herbs. (In my defense, I've been able to keep the ficus she bought for my first apartment alive and well for more than 14 years.) My mom even let the boys drop the seeds into the soil so they would know they took part in the gardening process.
 |
| Nana and her boys plant a garden |
 |
| Watering the plants for the first time |
A few months later, here are our beautiful plants.
 |
| Carrots | | |
 |
| Tomatoes |
 |
| My mom says these are weeds |
 |
| More weeds -- can you tell I'm new at this? |
 |
| Banana peppers |
 |
| Eggplant |
 |
| More eggplant |
 |
| Oregano mixed in with some clovers |
 |
| Squash and cilantro |
 |
| Squash |
This coming week, I have to do some weeding and mulching. I've been waiting to make sure all of the seeds that are going to sprout have done so. I also plan on getting some new marigolds to replace the ones that didn't survive.
We are all so excited about our first vegetables! The boys think we'll be able to harvest our carrots first. I think it might be the squash. In the meantime, we've been enjoying our basil and I plan on making bruschetta with cilantro.
Now I understand why my mom used to spend so much time in her vegetable garden. It is pretty amazing to see something you planted and cared for grow so strong and healthy. It's like, every summer, watching a fast-forwarded version of your children's growth. It seems so simple, but is such an accomplishment. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for sharing this with us.
2 comments:
From now on you will look forward to grow your vegetable garden every year. Glad that Henry and Drew are developing an interest at an early age.
You all have green thumbs.. It's fun harvesting your own garden.
Post a Comment