Monday, June 6, 2011

Life's a beach

I wish. On days like today, when everyone runs late and work is crazy, all I want to do is escape to the beach. I don't mean the Maryland or Jersey shores. I'm a North Florida girl, so the sugar white sands and clear water of the Gulf of Mexico are what I dream about.

Ever since I was a baby, my family has been going to the Gulf of Mexico. Whether it's day trips to St. George Island or week long stays at my parents' condo in Panama City Beach, we spent most of our summers at the beach. I learned how to swim at the age of two, just so I could keep up with my older sister as she snorkeled in the gulf and did laps into the pool. 

There are days that I dream about living on a beach, where I imagine life is more relaxed and worries are few and far between. Sometimes I'm convinced I could make a good living selling seashells by the seashore. I love DC and I love living in the city, but right now, I cannot imagine anything better than afternoon walks along the water, sitting on a beach chair with the sand between my toes, breathing in warm, salty air and falling asleep to the sound of waves.

Even though summer is just around the corner, life seems more hectic, so I think about the beach more and more. A girl can dream...

I'd be so much more productive if I were here

No comments: