Thursday, June 16, 2011

A prize for good behavior

We had an early start this morning. The boys and I dropped Jeff off at work before his 8:30 meeting and set off on some errands. Like a substantial proportion of the US population, we fueled up at Starbucks before embarking on our day. The boys and I calmly enjoyed our breakfast together -- very berry coffee cake for them and a parfait and decaf mocha for me. (I know, I know. Jeff thinks I'm CRAZY for managing two boys without a chemical jolt). Nourished and energized, we then hopped back into the car and headed west on I-66. But this is what we sat in. For half an hour.


I shook my fist and silently cursed at the traffic until we finally made it to Seven Corners -- which, as people around here know, was designed by a sadist -- just in time for Michael's to open. I've made it my summer mission to keep my kids occupied every day, so what better place to buy a bunch of crap crafts than Michael's. After an hour of nervously navigating the narrow, junk-filled aisles of the store, we left with a cart full of goodies and only a $25 dent made on the Visa.

As a little treat for my kids and to keep them motivated during our epic morning of shopping, we stopped by Barnes and Noble. They boys are always eager to play with the Thomas trains there and to read the Curious George and Berenstain Bear paperbacks on the revolving wire rack near the storytime stage. Unfortunately, this B and N had very few trains, which happened to be pretty gross. The little boy who sneezed all over the tracks didn't help matters. We did take some time reading a few new books before I facilitated our exit so we could hit Target (our mecca -- cue the singing angels) before lunch.

Immediately as we walked in the door of my favorite store on earth, Henry and Drew simultaneously screamed, "LET'S GET SOME GREEN GRAPES." Huh? Okay. We grabbed some grapes and, as expected, they screamed, "LET'S GO TO THE TOY AISLE." Along the way, we passed through the clothing section, the dressing room (where they both tried on a blue XXL maternity t-shirt just for fun), the card aisle and the electronics section. When we arrived in the toy area, they begged for more play-doh and while I do not usually give in, I did today. As a reward for giving up their morning to go shopping with Mommy, this is what they got.



And they were so happy.


Five hours after leaving the house with two half awake three-year-olds, we all made it home in one piece with minimal whining. Thank you, boys. This mega fun activity set was well-deserved. Just make sure you keep that play-doh off the rug!

No comments: