Friday, June 3, 2011

Anatomy 101

This is an entry that I almost didn't post. In fact, when I asked Jeff if I should, he squinted and gave me a look that said, "Really? Do you think it's a good idea?" I questioned it, too, for a little while, but decided that since this is my kids' virtual baby book, what I'm going to write was worth documenting. Also, I will need some embarrassing stories to share with them when they're older. Doesn't every parent have a few about their kids? So, here goes...

My boys are three and a half and have penis obsession. Okay, maybe that's a little strong. Let's just say they know the difference between boys and girls. Henry and Drew both know that boys have penises and girls do not (yes, they know what girls have; no, I'm not going to discuss that). In fact, they are quick to point out who has a penis and who does not. Pretty much on a daily basis, one or both of them say something like, "Boys have a penis. Henry has a penis. Drew has a penis. Daddy has a penis. Gatsby has penis. Mommy, you do not have a penis."  (Tired of that word yet?)

Today, Henry came out of his room screaming "My penis hurts! My penis hurts!" Apparently, his underwear got twisted after he used the potty and it was riding up in front. As I fixed his briefs, he stood there grabbing himself. I looked at him curiously, then with the straightest face I could make I said, "Okay buddy. You're all better." I mean, what's a mom who only grew up with a sister to do? Do all boys go through this?

Early on, Jeff and I decided we would call body parts by their actual names ('boobies' is a word, right?). 'Dinky' and 'wee wee' are cute, but why not just call it what it is? Of course, I didn't realize that my very loud and open-to-saying-anything-in-public kids would scream about their body parts or talk about them in places like Target or the mall. If I'd known, I probably would have gone with 'dinky'.

No comments: