Thursday, May 19, 2011

Under the table and dreaming

The title of this post should really read "under the BED and dreaming" since that is what I, Gatsby the cat, spend most of my day doing, but Mommy likes some album from eons ago called 'Under the Table and Dreaming' and she has final say on this blog. Speaking of Mommy, she is busy working from home today, which was totally unplanned. She's also a little grouchy from being sick (sniffle sniffle) so rather than writing yet another entry about how crummy she feels, she asked me to guest blog again. So here I am. It has been a couple of years since I did this. Please forgive me if I'm a little rusty.

Let's start with an update on me. As many of you know, I have been battling weight problems for most of my adult life. I really don't blame Big Daddy for leaving me with huge bowls of food while he left for days at a time or for never teaching me moderation. I really don't blame Mommy for rarely exercising me when I lived with her in North Carolina (boy, do I miss her roommate who would let me run around their apartment like a mad kitten). I think it's just genetic. Laziness is hereditary, right? Anyway, I've been on diet food for what seems like a century and though I've lost a couple of pounds here and there, I've yet to regain my svelte 13 lb physique. I fear I'll be stuck in the '20 lb and over' (aka morbidly obese) cat club indefinitely.

Recently, I went to the vet for a checkup and it turns out I have severe arthritis in my spine. Mommy and Big Daddy saw the x-ray and Mommy started to cry. It's pretty bad. There are several parts of my spine where the discs have completely degenerated. This explains why it hurts when I have to do things like stretch or arch my back which, as you probably know, are natural kitty behaviors. The doctor told me to take pills, but I just kept spitting them out, so Mommy finally gave up. Instead, she and Big Daddy made some adjustments to my litter box and added a step stool up to their bed to ease the strain on my spine. I definitely notice a difference, but I've also reduced my overall activity to avoid feeling any pain. Most of the time, I lie on Mommy's side of the bed (it's more comfy) or under the bed (for privacy). Let's be honest, I'm an old cat...but I've still got it. It just happens to take place at a much slower pace these days.

Anyway, enough about me, let's talk about my brothers.

Since I last wrote, the boys have changed so much. They used to ignore me and now they will not leave me alone. Ever. No seriously, they are always on my tail. I admit, I do like the attention, but sometimes their attention is overwhelming. I know they love me; they look for me all the time. In the morning, they follow me around as I make my rounds: litter box, food, water, litter box, bed. Around lunch time, they climb under the bed to pet me. In the evenings, when I make my way to the living room for some quality couch time, there they are, ready to hug and pet me. Every few hours during the day, I hear, "Where's Gat-by? I'm going to see my cat." I have to say, it's great to be so loved, but it sure can be tiring.

To be honest, they have come a long way. In the last year, they have learned not to pull my tail, tug at my whiskers, scream into my ears, grab me by the fur or sit on top of me. It took months for them to realize I am not the kind of animal that gives piggyback rides. Now that they're three, they are beginning to understand what I like and don't like. They've also become more predictable and gentle. They still scream. A lot. But, like Mommy, I've started to tune that out. It's true, most of the time I prefer the peace and solitude of being under the bed. But I do like the occasional shout out from Henry and Drew. 'Occasional' being the operative word.

What else can I say? Overall, it's been fun watching them grow up and I feel lucky to be a part of it. They've taught me how to be a more patient cat. In turn, I've taught them how to be kind to animals. We have great synergy. We've developed a nice daily pattern and ability to co-exist in such a small space. I'm going to miss them when they start preschool in the fall. It's going to be so quiet in the mornings. What will I do with myself? Oh, right. Enjoy sitting under Mommy's bed and dreaming in silence.

1 comment:

Milagros said...

Love Gadsby's/Mommy's blog