Sunday, August 14, 2011

Busy kids

On Thursday and Friday, I took the boys to Norwood Park in Bethesda. They call this place "tunnel slide park" because of the large, green, twisty tube slide on the main playground. They also refer to it as "soccer park" because they played soccer here with Coach Jeff (not their dad) last fall.

On both days, we got there in the late morning, played for a couple of hours, then had a picnic lunch. The weather was perfect. Sunny, mid 80s, low humidity. I had to pinch myself -- is it really August?! Thursday's trip was intentional. On Friday, we ended up at Norwood because of poor zoo trip planning on my part (let's just say it involved too much time spent at Michael's, full parking lots, and an expired parking permit).

The boys had so much fun at the park. They covered a lot of ground -- see saws, the climbing wall, bouncy bridge, tunnel slide (obviously), little slides, jungle gym, log roll, merry-go-round, swings, zip line, fire truck and tire swing. And that was just Thursday! On Friday, we ventured down to the tot lot, which has some vintage playground equipment, including a UFO-inspired treehouse/jungle gym. I'm pretty sure my older sister played on equipment like this. While in retroland, Henry and Drew were recruited to play Cops and Robbers by some 4- and 7-year-old kids attending soccer camp. Admittedly, I was nervous when Henry first approached the kids. He ran up to them to see what they were doing and introduced himself. The kids asked him if he wanted to play the game and attempted to explain the rules to him. He said 'yes, I want to play,' and 'okay, I got it'. A few minutes later, Drew joined them. Although my boys nodded as the "older kids" reviewed their role as robbers, my 3-year-olds had a mind of their own and headed toward the UFO-treehouse to hang out. Regardless, they had fun with the kids, shared a few high-fives and Drew cried when we had to leave.






On Friday evening, we picked Jeff up from work and gave Pete's Pizza another try. A few months back, we had a terrible service experience there. But, man, their pizza is so delicious, so when we saw that they had some vacant outdoor tables, we went back. The food was great and boys ate like champs. I downed two glasses of wine. We then headed down to the Clarendon shops for the playground and Barnes & Noble.



As we walked out of the bookstore later that evening, we ran into Karen, Howard and Nate. It was a nice surprise. Karen and I caught up while the boys played and competed for a little girl's affection by showing off their skills kicking her beach ball around (Henry, Drew and Nate, not Jeff and Howard). Once the sun finally set, we all walked up to the new Pinkberry for some frozen yogurt. Along the way, Nate wanted to hold Drew's hand. It was so cute. I think it took Drew by surprise, but he didn't mind. I think he likes the role of big brother! (And, no, that is not a hint...)



 

No comments: