Sunday, August 21, 2011

A new park!

This morning, we discovered that the Chevy Chase Recreation Center had recently been renovated. It is close to our place and we've driven by the baseball field dozens of times, but I never realized there was a playground area. Actually, I do remember seeing a playground once a few years ago while we were driving around, but I didn't know where we were at the time (one of the many moments when I had lost my sense of direction). Later, I could never pinpoint exactly where I had seen it. In fact, I convinced myself I had imagined it. It remained a mystery playground to me for the longest time and when we discovered Lafayette Park I reasoned that it was what I had seen. After all, I believed there wasn't a park in Chevy Chase I hadn't been to. Well, I'm happy to report, the playground I thought I dreamed up really does exist, and it is fabulous.

The remodeling involved updating the playground equipment, adding rubberized safety surfaces and a installing a spray ground. Though the best feature is that the playground and the spray ground are adjacent and the entire area is surrounded by an iron fence. If you have more than one child, you know how much this improves your ability to keep track of your kids.

The boys loved both the dry playground and the spray ground. The only thing missing was a sandbox, but given how this park only has rubber matting, I don't see how that would fit in. I really don't mind. Sand just adds to the grime I have to wash off my kids anyway.

I am thankful to Starbucks for their durable plastic cups that provide endless entertainment


Future gymnasts



No comments: