Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Drew's first break-up

If you know Drew, you are well aware of Yucky Ducky -- Drew's favorite lovey since he was six months old. Yucky Duck goes everywhere with Drew. He's usually hanging out of Drew's mouth, in his hand or tucked under his arm. We've bought several replacement lovies in case Yucky Duck gets lost or gets gross (mission accomplished), but Drew always rejects them. We once almost lost Ducky at the Charlotte Airport, but a very thoughtful flight attendant ran after us across two terminals to make sure Drew got him back. Between being overly loved by Drew and being run through the wash regularly, Yucky Ducky looks well-worn, to say the least. Despite Ducky's appearance, Drew has never once stopped loving and needing his safety blanket.

Well, this afternoon, I have some news. Drew has told me he is officially replacing Yucky Duck with a stuffed pig -- a pig he barely knows, a pig that has been hiding in a random basket for months. Just half an hour ago, Drew made his announcement. This, after an afternoon of chilling out on the couch with Ducky. It seemed so...out of the blue. I have to admit that I am sad for Ducky. Drew has loved this Angel Dear lovie for three years without fail. And now, Ducky is being replaced, and rather cavalierly, I might add.

Dear Yucky Ducky, don't worry. Maybe Drew just needs a break. He will come around. It's not you, it's Drew. In the meantime, you can stay with me, as Drew suggested ("Mommy, Ducky is yours now. You can sleep with him tonight and bring him to work tomorrow.") I think this calls for some ice cream, don't you?

This is what Ducky looked like before he became yucky

Drew, handing over his 'ex' as his new love looks on

Sad Ducky

The happy new couple

No comments: