Whenever I hear the word "yard," I do not think of an expanse of green space. Thanks to Jeff, I think of this:
So when he told me about the Yards Park in Southeast DC and how he wanted to go there, I thought, of course you do. Then I looked it up and realized it was a beautifully landscaped area on the Anacostia River next to Nationals Stadium with a WATER PARK! It has a huge wading pool, a waterfall and a few rows of small fountains all of which are designed for people to splash through. The bridge that crosses over the pool is the architectural feature and it gives the illusion that the wading pool feeds into the river, which may or may not be a selling point.
After the rain clouds broke on Saturday morning, we headed over to the park. When we got there, several kids were already racing across the wading pool. A few more were running through the fountains. Henry and Drew were so excited, they shimmied out of their clothes and asked us to put on their swimsuits. They splashed around with Jeff for a while, we had a picnic, then we all splashed around some more. We played in the pool for about an hour and a half when more clouds rolled in. Unfortunately, a strong thunderstorm cut our visit short, but at least we know there is another water park in DC for us to visit. According to Henry and Drew, this one is their new favorite. I think it's mine, too!

No comments:
Post a Comment