It was a muggy eve to Hurricane Irene, so they didn't spend too much time in the playground. After 15-20 minutes of sliding, climbing and digging, they asked to play in the water. When we got to the spray ground, it was clear the end of summer was upon us. Fewer than half of the safety tiles were missing, which meant the sprays were higher and water was puddling in the areas of exposed concrete. Also, nearly all of the water toys were missing, save for some questionable and, to be honest, disgusting items that people dumped there (pun intended), including an old potty and a bin that resembled a bed pan. Fortunately, my kids weren't interested in those items, but they did want cups and bowls to catch water. I gladly ran over to the sandbox to borrow some of these items. Strangely enough, there were kids who liked the potty, including a little girl who used it to sit on while she cleaned leaves in water she collected in the bed pan/bin. Um, gross?
One difference between this trip and the dozen trips from earlier in the summer is that both Henry and Drew ran through the water. They said they did it "for Daddy". They explicitly said I should tell Jeff that they went through the sprays since he's always encouraging them to do so. I did more than tell Jeff, I recorded it. An homage to summer and all the spray parks.
In the late afternoon, we went to an ice cream social at their new school. They were able to talk to their teacher for a little while. Although the event was a little overwhelming because it was aimed at bringing the entire school (PreK-8th grade) together to ease the transition, I think they're both very excited about preschool. Of course, I'm a nervous wreck, but I'm sure everything will be fine. Change is scary, but good. It's funny to think that my three-year-olds are more prepared for this than I am. What happened to my babies??
Drew runs through the sprays
Henry's turn
Who thought it was a good idea to bring THIS to the splash park?
No comments:
Post a Comment